Sunday, July 28, 2013

Junk Free July WEEK: IV

Week 4, was an interesting week.  We had some issues w/Rusty in the middle of the night, one night.  Of course it was the night before Kal’s early morning surgery (Jeff didn’t ask off work so I had to deal w/everything) My mother is a saint though, so I was able to leave Talynn and Rusty w/her for the first half of the day.  I have been exhausted ever since.  So I didn’t get alot of exercise in the second half of the week but I still managed to lose 3 lbs! Woohoo!  I took pictures of myself before I started my Junk Free July, and then halfway through, and I will take more pictures of how I look after.  I will be posting these next week, so stay tuned!  I’m only posting a couple recipes this week. Due to being constantly exhausted and pulled in a million directions I wasn’t super creative this week. I did a lot of repeats from previous weeks, boring stuff, and quick apples, and bananas here and there. Here are a few things I did enjoy….

      • Wheat Waffles & Sweet Sauce

Ingredients:

2 Eggs, 2 C. milk, 1/3 C. Canola Oil, 2 C. Wheat Flour, 1 TB. Baking Powder, 1/2 tsp. Salt, 1 TB. Sugar

Directions:

In a blender beat egg, milk, and oil until frothy. Pour into bowl, and immediately stir in remaining ingredients. Spoon onto hot waffle iron.

IMG_7667

I always sprinkle the surface of the batter w/cinnamon.  It makes everything taste better!

IMG_7671

    IMG_7677

Now the SWEET SAUCE  I made was to replace the peanut butter and syrup I usually like to don on my waffles.  For this I just threw….

1 medium banana, 12 strawberries, 1/4 tsp. cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. sugar in our baby bullet.

IMG_7672

The Sweet Sauce was by no mean “AMAZING”, but it wasn’t awful and it was a healthier choice.

IMG_7679

Jeff and Kal ate their waffles the good ‘ole Iggy way.

IMG_7682

Doesn’t that look delicious? and FATTENING?!

Alrighty this next recipe is one that we got from a friend a while ago. Jeff had eaten dinner at their house and they served this. He loved it! So I decided since it can be made using all unprocessed ingredients (I tweaked it a little bit), why not?!

  • VEGETARIAN INDIAN CURRY

Ingredients:

1 TB.Olive Oil, 1 Onion chopped, 1 C. (1/4 inch thick) sliced Carrots, 2 TB. Curry Powder, 2 tsp. Brown Sugar, 1 TB. grated peeled fresh Ginger, 4 Garlic cloves-minced, 3 C. cooked/drained/rinsed Chickpeas, 1 1/2 C. cubed peeled baking Potato, 1 head of Cauliflower (cut into bite sized pieces), 1/2 ts. Salt, 1/4 ts. Black Pepper, 1/2 ts. Ground Red Pepper,1 (14.5 oz) can diced Tomatoes, 1 (14 oz) can Vegetable Broth, 1 can Coconut Milk, and 2 C Water (you may need more or less. you just want the liquid to be about halfway between the bottom of the crockpot and the top of the vegetables)

FYI:

*I don’t peel my potatoes (the peel is where all the nutrients are!) I also didn’t use Ginger, because it so overpowering and I can’t stand the taste.  I just diced up 3 medium sized tomatoes instead of canned,I used 1/2 a head of cauliflower, I used homemade Chicken Broth (2 cups) instead of Vegetable Broth, and I did one cup of Coconut Milk ( but i may leave that out next time and just add a little more water…..

Now I have been saving up vegetable scraps for a while now (I just add to this bag that I keep in my freezer), but didn’t have quite enough to make my own broth.

IMG_7712

So I made Chicken Broth instead. Collect all the bones, fat, and skin from your cooked chicken and set them aside.

IMG_7686

Now place these scraps into your crockpot along with onion, celery, or any other seasoning and veggies you like.  Fill with 4-6 C. Water.  I put this on Hi for a couple hours before I went to bed, then turned it to Low and let it cook overnight.

IMG_7697

Strain…

IMG_7703

CURRY PREP:

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and carrot; cover and cook 5 minutes or until tender.

IMG_7707

Add curry powder, sugar, ginger, garlic and chile; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.

Place onion mixture in a 5 qt. electric slow cooker. Stire in chickpease and next 8 ingredients.

        IMG_7694

IMG_7708

(everything but the coconut milk) Cover and cook on HI for 6 hours or until vegetable are tender. Add coconut milk.

   IMG_7716

Serve with Rice.IMG_7714

I think this could be really good over  Quinoa as well!

Week 5 is a short one with only 4 days left in the month of July.  I won’t be slacking off though.  Here’s to a strong finish! I’m loving the results I’m getting, how I look and how I feel.  I will definitely continue to love and learn how to make myself and my family healthier!

2 comments:

KarenM said...

I have to laugh at all your great food - are you my daughter??!! I REALLY should have let you do some of the cooking when you were growing up - instead of always being in such a hurry. If you didn't look so much like me, I would really wonder...:)

Ingrid Harris said...

oh mamma you're funny! You were great, and i got more than your good looks, you gave me lots of other stuff too!