Friday, February 3, 2012

Remember How I Was Pregnant?……. Yeah I Had That Baby……

Last I posted I was pregnant, and we had just learned we were having a boy! Well shortly after we started house hunting fell in love with a few, they fell through or we felt uneasy about it soooo we put buying a house on hold but that still left us with a problem.  We were ALREADY crammed in our condo with Jeff, Me, and our dogs Ginger and Rusty. Where would we put a baby…..Well God answered our worries and prayers- A couple in our ward were going to be relocating for the husbands work and were not fond of the idea of selling in this market.  Soooo we were to move into their house the first weekend in April.  I was getting nervous considering it would be one short month before Kalvin would join us (I was due May 14th) and I wanted everything to be ready.  Our friends moved out of their house April 7th. During the day of the 7th I loaded the Durango up so that I could move a few things in during the day while Jeff was working. 

WARNING: BELOW I DESCRIBE ALL ABOUT MY LABOR, SO IF YOU’RE A PANSY YOU MAY WANT TO SKIP DOWN TO THE BOTTOM TO THE ADORABLE PICTURES OF KALVIN AND IGNORE MY RAMBLINGS, VENTINGS, AND DESCRIPTIONS OF SOME GRAPHIC SCENARIOS.

Well that night  I couldn’t sleep-my heartburn was the worst it had ever been!  I was eating ice, played on facebook anything I could do to keep myself entertained and as far from miserable as possible.  Jeff had to get up at 3 for work and I didn’t want to wake him.  So I was just stooping in the living room.   Finally around 2:30 am I thought maybe I was just tired enough to fall asleep no matter how bad the heartburn was. I finally fell asleep shortly before 3.  Then around 3:45 as Jeff was getting ready for work I woke up I had just been having a crazy dream that Kalvin was trying to claw his way through my stomach perhaps squeeze out of my belly button-everything makes sense when you’re dreaming.  After I started realizing I had just been dreaming and was now awake I realized that I had liquid coming out of me.  Not a lot, just a suttle oozing -like a broken water fountain….(sorry if this is too graphic)  So I call for Jeff and I’m a little embarrassed he assures me that Kalvin probably put pressure on my bladder and that I probably just wet myself.  So I get out of bed and decide to sit on the toilet where I continue to do what feels like peeing except I had no control over the flow, and just sat there until it finally trailed off.  Now I was really started to wonder…..did my water just break?  I called the on-call physician,(told her I didn’t know if I had just peed or if my water had broken- she wasn’t convince but said that if I went into the hospital they could test me and then we would know for sure if my water had broken. Then she asked if I was contracting….I had been soo caught up in whether my water had or hadn’t broken that I hadn’t even realized that I was feeling A LOT of pressure, sooo I said “wow, yeah….I think I am contracting.   Sooo Jeff didn’t want to miss work if it wasn’t the real thing so he rode his bike to work and I drove myself to the hospital.  Of course as I’m driving I was timing my contractions. When I first started driving they were 4 minutes apart but after a couple contractions they were less than 3 min. apart.  Luckily I had all green lights on the way to the hospital, and got there in just under 20 min.  Walking from the parking lot into the hospital I had to stop once because the contraction was soo bad. Now less than 2 min. apart……They put me in a wheelchair and took me up to the maternity ward.  Asked me a ton of questions and had me filling out paperwork-I was SOOO FRUSTRATED!!!  I was thinking really- we can’t do this later- I could possibly have a baby right here!  They took me to my room and I stood up out of the wheelchair and soaked the floor-at this point I was pretty sure my water had broken.  They still wanted to swab me and test it to make sure though. WOW?!  So as soon as they confirmed I called Jeff he had just gotten to work, so he had to make the 35 min. bike ride back home, grab a few things for me and then drive the durango to the hospital.  I was freaking out.  I couldn’t tell the difference between contractions. I had no idea if Jeff was gonna make it.  I was trying to hold off to get my epideral till he got there, because they had to take me to the labor room for that and I didn’t want there to be some mix up and them not let him back there and who knows what could happen he finally arrived.  They took me to the labor room and then we waited around for the epidural man.  It was a miracle I was able to hold still long enough for him to do it.  The nurse checked me immediately after and I was at a 6.  I realized I was super thirsty and asked Jeff to grab me some water as the nurse was walking out she said not to drink to much because as I got close to labor I would get nauseous She barely finished her sentence when I was cupping my hand over my mouth and jeff grabbed a trashcan.  She walked right back in to see me puking.  She immediately checked me again.  I was fully dialated.  Wow 6-10 in like under a min.  That’s got be some kind of record?! She yelled down the hall for people to come in immediately.  At this point I was freaking out a little….This was a day over 5 weeks before my due date, and labor was going a lot faster then anyone I had ever heard stories from.  A bunch of people rushed in and the nurse began turning me on my side and then on the other side trying to slow down my labor, but that didn’t help.  So they told me to start pushing.  My OB still wasn’t there and I was told she was still 20 min. out.  I pushed a few times (or atleast I was trying I couldn’t really feel what I was doing) they told me to push like I was pooping so I tried, and didn’t feel like I was doing much.  Jeff then commented on how he had lots of dark hair, I thought he was joking.  I had only pushed like twice there is no way you can see him already! But the doctor backed him up.  Then my OB arrived, I gave a couple more pushes and he was out!  It was soo crazy…. I had just given birth to a baby boy, and he was perfect!

IMG_0162

Kalvin had some lungs on him too, he came out wailing.  However he had swallowed a nice gulp of amniotic fluid so they took him to NICU and continued checking him out there.  He was able to breathe on his own although he was having to work extra hard since his lung was wet.  So they put him on CPAP to give him a break so he could get some rest.

IMG_0168

  I wasn’t able to try breast feeding for the first 12 hours since he was on CPAP. And they just had him hooked up to an IV so he didn’t get dehydrated.  Well then some idiot put in a feeding tube and that is where we got screwed.

IMG_0194

(Grandma/Grandpa Mundy and uncle dylan came the day after Kalvin was born they were sooo helpful.  Helping us move stuff in, helped organize and my mom was so great driving me to the hospital!  There were some awesome men from the elder’s quorum at church who helped pack and unpack the moving truck the night of the 8th! Women from the piney creek relief society also helped cleaned the house as we were unpacking. Thank you all you lovely people!)

Nobody wanted to admit that he wasn’t actually 5 weeks early.  He was breathing on his own, maintaining his body temp,  and the second day when I held him he was lifting his head AND chest off of mine, and he latched on and breast fed fine.  This is not preemie behavior, I saw the other babies in there.  And I’ve seen plenty of babies born that early or even less early and guess what they can’t do ANY of those things.  Infact some of the babies who were discharge the same day as me,  (Kalvin was discharged over a week LATER!) weren’t even able to regulate their body temps.   UGHH this was such a nightmare.  Since some idiot decided to put him on a feeding tube he then could not go home until atleast a portion of each feeding was through breast or bottle he could not have a feeding that was completely gavage feeding (given through the tube)  I was driving to the hospital multiple times a day and doing 6-7 of his 10 feedings via breastfeeding.  However for the couple feedings at night we had nurses being lazy not waking him up to feed him so the entire feeding would be through the tube.  He was gaining weight like crazy he was breast feeding fine, and then I get there the next day “oh he was soooo tired, so we just gavage fed him” .  the emotional and physical exhaustion from these 9 days having to leave him there, and not being able to take him , especially when he was perfectly fine-was harder than giving birth!  I cried sooo much that week.

(awww)IMG_0188

But finally I had an amazing nurse! My angel really.  She agreed that Kalvin was perfectly capable of going home and that he needed to be home.  So she told me that she would remove the feeding tube (because once it was out they wouldn’t put I back in) this way the nurses couldn’t be lazy…..and what do you know he was waking up for his feedings and took full feedings through the bottle that night.  This momma was sOOOO happy, and I was able to take my little boy home. IMG_0325 I am so grateful that Kalvin is a happy healthy boy.  I am sooo grateful to my Heavenly Father for entrusting this sweet little spirit to Jeff and I.  I pray that I can be a good mother, and raise him with high standards and teach him correct principles.  I pray that he will feel and know how loved he is. I pray that I can be a good example to him and provide him with all that he needs to be successful and happy in life.  I love being a wife, and a mom, and I am so excited for all the things I will be learning from here on out.IMG_0620

No comments: